Many people who are involved in accidents caused by intoxicated drivers suffer severe injuries, disabilities, and psychological distress that can remain for the rest of their lives. If you or a loved one were hurt in an accident caused by a drunk driver, contact a Slidell driving while intoxicated lawyer from the Morris Bart law firm to discuss your accident with a free and no-obligation consultation. To learn how we can help, call now at (800) 537-8185.
What a Slidell Driving While Intoxicated Accident Lawyer Can Do for You
Proving Liability for the Accident
When you hire us to represent you, our DWI accident lawyers will investigate your claims and determine liability. Our team will gather evidence to prove fault and liability, including:
- Police or accident reports
- Results of the driver’s chemical tests (e.g. Breathalyzer tests)
- Eyewitness testimony
- Photographs of the accident scene
- Video surveillance of the accident
We can even help you secure expert testimony from accident reconstruction specialists who can testify about how the accident happened. While other states may allow those injured by drunk drivers to hold the bar, restaurant, or social host that served the defendant liable too, Louisiana generally does not. Louisiana Revised Statutes 9:2800.1 limits the liability of establishments or social hosts that serve alcohol. However, if the establishment or social host forced the defendant’s intoxication or misrepresented alcoholic beverages as nonalcoholic, it is possible they may be liable too.
Establishing the Value of All of Your Damages
Our goal is to recover compensation to cover your short- and long-term damages. Some examples of recoverable damages in accidents resulting from DWI include:
- Medical bills, including those for emergency transportation, hospitalization, surgery, and medical treatment
- Lost wages, including any current or expected lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity, such as if you cannot return to work or earn less after your accident than you did before
- Noneconomic damages, including for your pain and suffering
You may qualify to recover compensation for other losses too, so speak with an attorney about your injuries and how they affect your financial, physical, and emotional health.
Deal With Insurance Companies
After experiencing such a traumatic event, it may be difficult to figure everything out by yourself. The good news is that you do not have to shoulder the burden alone. Our Slidell driving while intoxicated accident lawyers will communicate with the insurance companies on your behalf. We will file paperwork, build your claim, and negotiate a settlement. If the insurer fails to offer a fair settlement, we can take your case to trial. To get help following an accident involving a drunk driver, call us at (800) 537-8185 to secure help from a lawyer. A member of our team would be happy to speak to you.
For a free legal consultation with a Driving While Intoxicated Accident lawyer serving Slidell, call 800-537-8185
Injuries Caused by DWI Car Accidents
An accident caused by an intoxicated driver can cause severe injuries. Drunk drivers may be more likely to engage in dangerous driving (e.g., speeding) and slower to react, elevating the risk of car accidents that cause severe injuries. Some types of most common injuries caused by DWI accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal injuries
- Soft tissue injuries, including whiplash
If you were hurt by a drunk driver, we can help you prove liability and pursue compensation for your injuries.
Slidell Driving While Intoxicated Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-537-8185
A Lawyer Can File Your Lawsuit Before Time Runs Out
Louisiana allows just one year to file a personal injury lawsuit under CC 3492, which is less than many other states. If you fail to file your lawsuit before this deadline, you may be barred from recovering compensation for your losses. Our lawyers make sure your case meets all applicable deadlines and is filed correctly. Call us as soon as possible so we can get started on your case before the statute of limitations runs out to avoid risking your ability to recover compensation.
The Role Alcohol Plays in DWI Accidents
Anyone who operates a motor vehicle while intoxicated by alcohol, illicit drugs, or prescription drugs puts themselves, other drivers, pedestrians, and bicyclists in danger. Alcohol and other substances can affect one’s ability to operate a motor vehicle in several ways.
- Impaired coordination. Alcohol is a depressant that affects motor skills. With their motor skills severely impacted, accidents are bound to happen.
- Impaired judgment. Alcohol affects drivers’ ability to follow the rules of the road and make good decisions, such as the decision to drive safely. This explains why an intoxicated driver may be more likely to speed, drive erratically, run red lights, or fail to yield to pedestrians, bicyclists, and other motorists.
- Delayed reaction. Drunk drivers may be slower to react to other vehicles, pedestrians, and bicyclists who share the roadway.
- Visual impairment. Consumption of alcohol can result in blurry or double vision. Visual impairment while driving may make it difficult to see road signs, traffic signals, and other road users.
- Comprehension problems. A driver operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated may not be able to follow traffic directions, process cues from other motorists, or even understand road signs.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Hire an Accident Lawyer from Morris Bart, LLC
When you hire a Slidell driving while intoxicated accident lawyer from the Morris Bart law firm, we will do our best to hold the defendant accountable and apply our experience to help you to get compensation for your losses. At the Morris Bart law firm, we believe in going above and beyond for our clients and we would love to contribute to the success of your case. Our lawyers are ready to help you navigate the civil justice system. Take advantage of our free consultation and call us now at (800) 537-8185 to discuss your case with a member of our team.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.