Drivers in Louisiana have a responsibility to follow all of the state’s traffic laws and regulations, as well as motor vehicle liability security, or insurance. These laws and protections extend to the way motorists behave around pedestrians. A driver must take care to avoid a collision with a pedestrian at all times, just as the driver must try to avoid colliding with other vehicles on the road.
Unfortunately, accidents between pedestrians and motor vehicles in Louisiana are still common. If you, as a pedestrian, are the victim in an accident with a motor vehicle, you may have suffered significant emotional and physical trauma. If so, a pedestrian accident attorney in Alexandria can help you seek fair compensation.
Driver Negligence in Pedestrian Accidents
In order to receive a settlement in a personal injury case, it is typically necessary for the injured party to demonstrate and produce evidence that the defendant’s negligent behavior caused their injuries.
Dangerous driving is a form of negligence. Patterns of this are easy to understand, as the driver is clearly violating state motor vehicle operating laws. This includes:
- Driving too fast for the road or weather conditions
- Failing to stop at stop signs and traffic lights
- Failing to maintain a lane
- Failing to stay on the roadway
- Not yielding to a pedestrian in a crosswalk
If a driver performs one of these actions and strikes a pedestrian, law enforcement may issue a traffic ticket to the driver. This citation, or police report from the accident, can be a key piece of evidence in proving that your injuries are a direct result of the driver’s negligent actions.
Other forms of Driver Negligence
There are other negligent actions a Louisiana motorist can take to cause an accident that injures a pedestrian. These actions may include:
- Distracted driving: The motorist looked at a smartphone or directed their attention to something else in the car rather than watching the roadway.
- Drunken driving: The driver was drinking alcohol and was over Louisiana’s legal BAC limit of 0.08%.
- Driving under the influence of drugs: The driver took illegal or prescription drugs that impaired their ability to drive safely.
- Drowsy driving: The driver operated a vehicle for too many hours without rest or sleep or drove while they were tired.
- Reckless or aggressive driving: The driver did not behave in a responsible manner and swerved or passed other vehicles aggressively.
Even if law enforcement does not issue a ticket or a criminal charge to the driver in situations like these, enough evidence may exist that the driver was behaving negligently. This can result in a favorable outcome in your personal injury lawsuit.
For a free legal consultation with a Pedestrian Accident lawyer serving Alexandria, call 800-537-8185
Injuries in a Pedestrian Accident
Alexandria pedestrian accident attorneys will recommend that you seek medical care immediately after the accident. You may have internal injuries that are not obvious or injuries that seem small now but could require ongoing care. Pedestrians injured by cars can suffer head and brain injuries. These injuries can include:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Bleeding in the brain
Head injuries can linger for months or years, causing disability or emotional trauma. If you suspect you received a head injury in your accident, see a doctor immediately. It is important to document all injuries in order to hold the responsible parties liable for the full cost of your recovery.
What an Alexandria Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Can Do for You
When you have been struck by a vehicle and are dealing with the driver’s insurance company, you may feel as though you are not being treated fairly. The insurance company might attempt to downplay your injuries or talk you into accepting a lower compensation offer than you deserve.
Our pedestrian accident attorneys in Alexandria can stand up to aggressive insurance companies and build a case that defends your right to compensation. Should you choose to retain our services, we can:
- Gather evidence of the responsible party’s negligence
- Collect documents that show the full extent of your injuries
- Hire traffic accident experts if need be
- Handle all communication with insurance companies on your behalf
- Manage legal paperwork and deadlines
We can present your side of the story of the accident and stand by your side during negotiations with insurers. If they won’t offer a fair settlement, we’ll take them to court.
Pedestrian Accident Damages You Can Get Compensation for
No matter how severe your injuries are as a pedestrian, working with an experienced Louisiana pedestrian accident lawyer can help you achieve compensation for the damages you suffered because of a motorist’s negligent conduct. Common damages you can get compensation for include:
- Medical costs
- Cost of therapy and rehabilitation
- Loss of income or the ability to continue working
- Loss of future wages and earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Scarring and disabilities
- Loss of quality of life
Let Us Defend Your Right to Receive Fair Compensation
If the responsible party is not willing to negotiate a fair settlement for you, we are not afraid of taking your case to court and defending your rights there. For a free consultation on your case, call the Alexandria legal team at Morris Bart, LLC.
If you choose to hire our lawyers, you pay nothing up front. We work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning we do not get paid unless you reach a settlement or ruling in court.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.