Each state has specific laws regarding car insurance, and one that is relatively unique in Louisiana is the “No-pay, No-play” rule. In most states, driving without some form of liability insurance is illegal; however, Louisiana takes this policy a step further.

Accident report

Accident report

In Louisiana, there are limits on the amount of damages an uninsured driver can claim after a collision with a negligent motorist. Underinsured and uninsured drivers cannot collect the first $15,000 in damages for bodily injuries, or the first $25,000 for property damage.

If you are considering filing a claim for damages against a negligent driver, it is important to know how the No-pay, No-play policy may affect your case. A Baton Rouge personal-injury lawyer from Morris Bart, LLC can provide this information and determine if you have valid grounds for a lawsuit.

No accident victims should have to pay for medical expenses and lost wages out of their own pocket. To learn your options, call our office today at 1-800-537-8185.

In the meantime, read on to learn four scenarios in which Louisiana’s No-pay, No-play law does not apply:

  1. Parked Vehicles

If a negligent driver crashes into a parked car, then the owner of that car can still collect damage from the at-fault party – even if the owner does not have car insurance.

  1. Accidents Involving Alcohol or Drugs

If the at-fault driver was under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time, or he or she illegally left the scene of the accident, the No-pay, No-play law does not apply. You can file a claim for damages against a drunk or hit-and-run driver even if you do not meet the No-pay, No-play insurance requirements.

  1. Full Coverage Not Required

According to the Department of Motor Vehicles, drivers do not need full insurance coverage. When it comes to the No-pay, No-play laws, liability insurance is sufficient.

It is the driver’s responsibility to make sure his or her liability insurance meets the state’s minimum standards. If so, he or she can bring a claim against a negligent driver in the event of a crash – even without full insurance coverage.

A Baton Rouge personal injury attorney from Morris Bart, LLC can determine if you may be eligible to recover damages from the at-fault party. We can help you gather evidence, handle settlement negotiations and litigate your case if it goes to trial. To schedule a consultation, call our office today at 1-800-537-8185.

July 17, 2015 | Categories: Auto Accidents, Legal Tips |