car crashed during road accident on urban streetWithout firsthand experience, it’s hard to understand the emotional impact of a car accident. Even minor crashes will jolt your nerves and spike your heart rate, and the effects are even more pronounced in collisions that leave property damage and injuries in their wake.

In the aftermath of a serious wreck, it can be difficult to keep your thoughts together, but knowing how to act after a collision – as well as during the processes that follow – is the first step toward protecting your interests after an accident.

If you were injured in a collision that a negligent driver caused, call Morris Bart, LLC. A Mobile personal-injury lawyer from our firm can evaluate your case to determine if you should pursue damages from the at-fault party.

Although most of these cases never go to trial, our attorneys can handle your settlement negotiations to ensure the maximum payout. You may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses, lost wages and other damages. Call us today at 1-800-537-8185 to schedule a consultation with a member of our team.

The following are three important processes to keep in mind after an Alabama car accident:

  1. Filing form SR-31

According to the Alabama Department of Public Safety, if the at-fault driver was uninsured, and you sustained serious injuries or property damage in the accident, then you must file an SR-31 form with authorities. This form is available on the Department of Public Safety website, and you must submit it to the authorities via mail.

You must file this form with the Driver License Division of the Department of Public Safety. You can mail the document to:

Department of Public Safety

Safety Responsibility Unit

P.O. Box 1471

Montgomery, AL 36102

  1. Proving Liability Insurance

According to, all drivers in the state of Alabama must have liability insurance. If you caused a car crash, you must provide proof of this insurance.

Under most circumstances, law enforcement will be at the scene of the accident, and they will collect insurance information at that time. If you did not have proof of insurance at the scene of the accident, you must submit form SR-21 to the Driver License Division

You can mail this form to:

Driver License Division

Safety Responsibility Unit

P.O. Box 1471

Montgomery, AL 3610

  1. Reinstating Your License

If the state suspended your license after a crash, you may be able to apply for license reinstatement. This is only possible if you have not been sued and there has been no related civil action in the previous two years. If you meet these requirements, you can submit a No Court Action Statement.

If you or a loved one has suffered injuries due to another driver’s negligence, call Morris Bart, LLC to discuss the possibility of filing a civil lawsuit. Our attorneys have the knowledge and resources to handle your settlement negotiations and, if necessary, litigate your case. Call us at 1-800-537-8185 to schedule an appointment with a Mobile personal injury attorney.

June 18, 2015 | Categories: Auto Accidents, Legal Tips |