Motorcyclists have the same rights to safety that drivers of motor vehicles do, but because they lack the physical protection that car and truck drivers have, they can be harmed far worse than other motorists when accidents do occur. According to Louisiana State University’s Center for Analytics & Research in Transportation, 1,176 motorcyclists were injured or killed in crashes involving motorcycles in Louisiana in 2019. If you were injured or if your loved one was killed in a Lake Charles motorcycle accident, the person or party who caused your accident may be financially responsible for your losses. Call a Lake Charles motorcycle accident lawyer at Morris Bart, LLC for a free discussion about your case. The number to call is (337) 377-0514. Our firm represents clients on a contingency-fee-basis, meaning you do not pay us for our services unless you win.
Dangerous Driving Behaviors May Be Fatal to Motorcyclists
Dangerous driving habits can be especially dangerous for motorcyclists, who are more exposed than car and truck drivers, and who rely on motorist attention to be seen on the road. If a motorist drives in a dangerous, reckless, or otherwise negligent way, they could be liable for the injuries their actions caused a motorcyclist. Negligent driving behaviors can include:
- Breaking traffic laws: Speeding, tailgating, failure to yield, running a red light or stop sign, driving at night with no lights, and more.
- Distracted driving: Taking attention off the road to text, use a cell phone, handle a pet, interact with passengers, eat, apply makeup, or more.
- Drunk or intoxicated driving: Driving with a blood alcohol percentage of 0.08 or more, under the influence of illegal drugs, exceeding the dose of certain prescription drugs, or when combining certain prescription drugs with alcohol.
- Aggressive driving: Sudden lane changes, swerving, cutting off another vehicle, blocking cars attempting to pass, or any number of unsafe, deliberate maneuvers.
- Drowsy driving: Driving when too tired to maintain concentration and safely operate a motor vehicle.
If a driver failed to follow these or other rules of the road that help protect motorcyclists from danger, and the result was an accident involving you or a loved one, you may have a legal right to compensation. A Lake Charles motorcycle accident lawyer can help you navigate your options. Call our team at Morris Bart, LLC today at (337) 377-0514 for a free consultation.
For a free legal consultation with a Motorcycle Accident lawyer serving Lake Charles, call 800-537-8185
Possible Compensation in a Motorcycle Accident Claim
Each motorcycle accident is different, and the specifics of your case will ultimately determine the forms of compensation that you may be entitled to. In general, the possible damages in motorcycle accident cases can include:
- Medical costs brought on by your accident
- Any wages you lost while recovering from your injury, and any diminished earning capacity that was caused by your injuries
- Pain and suffering
- Damages to your property
- And more
If you are bringing a wrongful death suit because of a loved one’s death, you may be entitled to coverage for:
- Funeral costs
- Loss of financial protection
- Loss of consortium
- Pain and suffering
- And more
To learn more about the specific compensation that may be available in your motorcycle accident case, call Morris Bart, LLC today at (337) 377-0514.
Lake Charles Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-537-8185
A Lake Charles Lawyer Can Help if You or a Loved One Was in a Motorcycle Accident
When you sign on for representation from Morris Bart, LLC, we get right to work on your case. A lawyer’s role in your case may include:
- Getting your side of the story, answering your questions, discussing possible outcomes, and keeping you informed about proceedings in your case.
- Helping you determine who is at fault for your injuries or your loved one’s death.
- Filing your case in court as soon as possible.
- Collecting available evidence relevant to the accident, such as police reports, video, and photographs of the accident scene.
- Obtaining witness testimony.
- Hiring accident reconstruction experts.
- Handling all legal deadlines and procedures in your case.
- Communicating and negotiating directly with the insurance companies.
- Fighting for your rights throughout the legal process.
If the insurance company representing the liable parties is not willing to make you a fair and reasonable settlement offer in your case, Morris Bart, LLC will not hesitate to bring them to court. When we take up your legal defense, you and your family get space from the legal proceedings to concentrate on healing and getting your life back to normal.
Limited Time to Act on a Motorcycle Accident Claim
The statute of limitations in Louisiana for personal injury and wrongful death claims is generally one year from the date of your accident, according to Art. 3492. This means that if you wait longer than a year to act on your claim, you may lose your legal right to compensation, even if there is a strong case against the responsible party. There may be exceptions to this one-year limit in certain cases. For a free consultation, contact the team at Morris Bart, LLC regardless of how much time has passed since your accident.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call Our Team at Morris Bart, LLC Today
The Lake Charles motorcycle accident lawyers at Morris Bart, LLC will fight for you during this difficult time so that you can focus on mental and physical recovery. For a free consultation on your case, call our team today at (337) 377-0514. A legal team member can discuss your case, answer your questions, and give you options on how to proceed. Morris Bart, LLC operates on a contingency-fee-basis, meaning our clients pay nothing out of pocket. Our firm only collects a fee if you get paid via settlement or court ruling.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.