Motorcyclists have the same rights to safety that drivers of motor vehicles do, but because they lack the physical protection that car and truck drivers have, they can be harmed far worse than other motorists when accidents do occur.
If you were injured or if your loved one was killed in a motorcycle wreck, call a Lake Charles motorcycle accident attorney at the Morris Bart law firm. We can take care of all the legal details while you attend doctor’s appointments and recover from your injuries.
Dangerous Driving Behaviors May Be Fatal to Motorcyclists
Dangerous driving habits can be especially dangerous for motorcyclists, who are more exposed than car and truck drivers, and who rely on motorist attention to be seen on the road. If a motorist drives in a dangerous, reckless, or otherwise negligent way, they could be liable for the injuries their actions caused a motorcyclist.
Our Lake Charles personal injury lawyer can determine if the following actions contributed to your accident:
- Breaking traffic laws: Speeding, tailgating, failure to yield, running a red light or stop sign, driving at night with no lights, and more.
- Distracted driving: Taking attention off the road to text, using a cell phone, handling a pet, interacting with passengers, eating, applying makeup, or more.
- Drunk or intoxicated driving: Driving with a blood alcohol percentage of 0.08 or more, under the influence of illegal drugs, exceeding the dose of certain prescription drugs, or when combining certain prescription drugs with alcohol.
- Aggressive driving: Sudden lane changes, swerving, cutting off another vehicle, blocking cars attempting to pass, or any number of unsafe, deliberate maneuvers.
- Drowsy driving: Driving when too tired to maintain concentration and safely operate a motor vehicle.
If a driver failed to follow these or other rules of the road that help protect motorcyclists from danger, and the result was an accident involving you or a loved one, you may have a legal right to compensation. A Lake Charles motorcycle accident attorney can help you navigate your options.
For a free legal consultation with a Motorcycle Accident lawyer serving Lake Charles, call 800-537-8185
Possible Compensation in a Motorcycle Accident Case
Each motorcycle accident is different, and the specifics of your case will ultimately determine the forms of compensation that you may be entitled to. In general, the possible damages in motorcycle accident cases can include:
- Medical costs brought on by your accident
- Any income you lost while recovering from your injury, and any diminished earning capacity that was caused by your injuries
- Pain and suffering
- Damages to your property
If you are bringing a wrongful death suit because of a loved one’s death, you may be entitled to coverage for:
- Funeral costs
- Loss of financial protection
- Loss of consortium
- Pain and suffering
A Lake Charles Lawyer Can Help If You or a Loved One Was in a Motorcycle Accident
When you sign on for representation from our Lake Charles motorcycle accident lawyers at the Morris Bart law firm, we will get right to work on your case. A lawyer’s role in your case may include:
- Getting your side of the story, answering your questions, discussing possible outcomes, and keeping you informed about proceedings in your case
- Helping you determine who is at fault for your injuries or your loved one’s death
- Filing your case in court as soon as possible
- Collecting available evidence relevant to the accident, such as police reports, video, and photographs of the accident scene
- Obtaining witness testimony
- Hiring accident reconstruction experts
- Handling all legal deadlines and procedures in your case
- Communicating and negotiating directly with the insurance companies
- Fighting for your rights throughout the legal process
If the insurance company representing the liable parties is not willing to make you a fair and reasonable settlement offer in your case, we will not hesitate to bring them to court. When we take up your legal defense, you and your family get space from the legal proceedings to concentrate on healing and getting your life back to normal.
Click to contact our Lake Charles Personal Injury Lawyers today
Who Is Responsible in a Motorcycle Accident?
There is a stereotype that motorcycle riders are more dangerous than vehicle drivers, however, this is not always the case. Quite often, it’s the car driver who fails to notice the motorcycle. There are also other contributing factors, such as driver blind spots and heavy traffic.
If you feel an insurance company is acting prejudiced against you because you’re a rider, let our motorcycle accident lawyers do the talking instead. As your representative, we will defend your interests and cut through the stereotypes keeping you from the compensation you deserve.
Limited Time to Act on a Motorcycle Accident Claim
The statute of limitations in Louisiana for personal injury and wrongful death claims is generally one year from the date of your accident, according to La. Civ. Code Art. 3492. This means that if you wait longer than a year to act on your claim, you may lose your legal right to compensation, even if there is a strong case against the responsible party.
There may be exceptions to this one-year limit in certain cases. In any case, it’s always better to file as early as possible to avoid missing the statute of limitations. Our Lake Charles motorcycle accident lawyers are ready to hear your case regardless of how much time has passed since your accident.
If You Lose, We Lose
Personal injury attorneys like us are paid on a contingency-fee basis. This means that if you win your case, you’ll pay us a certain percentage of your winnings. But if you lose, we also lose. We do not get paid if you don’t win.
This isn’t just to motivate us to do a great job. It’s also so people of any income level can feel confident about approaching a motorcycle accident lawyer and getting legal help.
What to Do in the Aftermath of a Motorcycle Accident in Lake Charles
You may be unsure what to do in the aftermath of a motorcycle accident, as the scene of a crash can feel hectic. Whether you are visibly injured or feel fine, you should visit a doctor. Your medical care team can provide medications to treat your pain and explain how your injuries can be healed. Also, your medical records can serve as useful evidence as we build your case.
Beyond visiting a doctor, you should also keep track of evidence related to the crash. Your personal injury lawyer can investigate your case and gather evidence on your behalf. However, if you happened to take any photos or videos at the scene of the accident, you should bring them to your lawyer. Witness contact information is also useful.
Types of Common Injuries After a Motorcycle Accident
After your motorcycle accident, you may have expensive medical bills to treat injuries such as:
- Broken bones
- Severe road rash
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Soft tissue injuries
- Bone fractures
- Neck injuries
- Back or shoulder injuries
- Crush injuries
- Torn ligaments
- Internal bleeding
Our team will handle all the details of your case while you heal from these painful injuries. Ensure you visit a doctor immediately after your accident so that you have a treatment plan to follow.
Call Our Team at Morris Bart, LLC Today
The Lake Charles motorcycle accident lawyers at the Morris Bart law firm will fight for you during this difficult time so that you can focus on mental and physical recovery. For a free consultation on your case, call our team today or use our contact form.
A lawyer will discuss your case, answer your questions, and give you options on how to proceed. The Morris Bart law firm operates on a contingency-fee-basis, meaning our clients pay nothing out-of-pocket. Our firm only collects a fee if you get paid via settlement or court ruling.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.