If you sustained injuries at work in Iberia Parish, you likely qualify for workers’ compensation benefits under Louisiana law. If you experience trouble getting the medical coverage and wage loss benefits you deserve, a New Iberia workers’ compensation attorney from the Morris Bart law office might be able to help.
Our personal injury law firm provides complimentary consultations for those with work-related injuries or illnesses. We will assess your case and could help you file your claim or appeal a denial.
Workers’ Compensation Benefits Available in New Iberia
The Louisiana Workers’ Compensation Law (La. Rev. Stat. §1020.1) lists three reasons why this law is critical for workers injured on the job:
- It ensures access to temporary or permanent disability benefits when the injury or illness prevents them from working.
- It pays medical bills for treatment and management of injuries and illnesses related to work.
- It provides monetary assistance to help sick or hurt workers return to work.
The statute provides benefits to address each of these elements, in addition to death benefits and options for those who cannot return to work. For example, if you suffered injuries or got sick because of your New Iberia job, you could receive:
- Partial wage loss benefits, up to about two-thirds of your weekly average
- Medical treatment and care costs, including your medications and therapy
- Occupational training, including learning a new trade if you cannot return to your previous work
- Long-term disability benefits, compensating those who cannot work their job or any other job
- Funeral and burial benefits, awarded for fatal injuries or illnesses
Our attorneys can assess the benefits you may qualify to receive during a free case consultation. We can also determine the amount of your wage loss benefit.
For a free legal consultation with a Workers’ Compensation lawyer serving New Iberia, call (337) 446-4571
Morris Bart, LLC, Can Help with Your Workers’ Compensation Claim
At the Morris Bart law firm, our attorneys help injured or sick workers every day to file their workers’ compensation claims or appeal a denial of benefits. We have over 40 years of experience representing clients and seeking and securing benefits in injury cases.
We know how the Louisiana workers’ compensation laws work. We can navigate the claims and appeals process and foil attempts by employers and insurance companies to prevent workers from getting the benefits they need and deserve. Our team will gather evidence, prove your claim, and get your benefits approved or recover a one-time lump-sum payment.
In Lafayette, LA, the Morris Bart law office handles cases in New Iberia and elsewhere in Iberia Parish. We have 15 locations in all and serve residents throughout Louisiana, Alabama, Arkansas, and Mississippi.
Our Team Understands How the Louisiana Workers’ Compensation Process Works
The Morris Bart law firm helps clients file and appeal workers’ compensation claims. You may qualify for benefits when:
- You suffered injuries because of an accident at work or while on the job
- You have a chronic injury your doctor believes is work-related
- A doctor diagnoses you with an illness likely caused by workplace exposure
In most cases, injured workers should notify their employer, who will submit paperwork to the workers’ compensation insurer. Then, after a short waiting period, they receive their benefits. However, this process does not always go this smoothly. Some common issues that our clients experience include:
- The employer did not file a report with the insurer
- The employer did not provide accurate and complete information in their report
- The employer told the insurer their injuries were not work-related
- The insurer denies the claim for some reason
If these or any other obstacles prevent you from getting the benefits you need, the Morris Bart law firm could help. We represent clients navigating this process, including:
- Investigating what happened and gathering evidence to support the claim
- Documenting their injuries with medical records
- Identifying the benefits available to them
- Filing their claim or appealing a denial
- Seeking benefits or negotiating a one-time settlement on their behalf
Most Workers Qualify for Compensation Benefits in Louisiana
Most workers will qualify for some type of compensation after a workplace injury in Louisiana. According to the Louisiana Department of Labor, employers must provide this coverage starting from a worker’s first day on the job. This requirement includes full-time, part-time, occasional, and seasonal workers.
However, some workers will not qualify for benefits under this law. In most cases, these workers have similar benefits under another statute. Examples include offshore workers, shipyard workers, and harbor workers, who generally qualify for similar benefits under federal laws such as:
- The Jones Act
- The Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Act
We can identify the benefits available to you and determine how to prove your case to the insurer or other party as necessary. We also handle Jones Act claims and other similar cases.
Click to contact our New Iberia Personal Injury Lawyers today
Do I Have Other Options for Financial Recovery in My Injury Case?
Most injured workers only have the option of filing a workers’ compensation claim. They cannot sue their employer or a coworker for their negligence, even if it caused their accident and injuries. However, you might qualify to file a personal injury lawsuit if a third party caused the incident.
For example, imagine a vendor making a delivery at your work causing your injuries. You might have an insurance claim or lawsuit against the delivery person and their employer. You might be able to recover additional damages, including money for your pain and suffering.
You only have up to one year to file a personal injury lawsuit under La. Civ. Code Art. 3492. Our team provides free case assessments and can help you determine if you qualify to hold a third party legally responsible for your injuries.
Morris Bart, LLC, Will Review Your Case Today for Free
You can speak with a lawyer from the Morris Bart law firm for free today about your case and options. We are a contingency fee firm and will go to work for you with no upfront costs. Our Lafayette, LA, office serves New Iberia.
Call (337) 446-4571 to get started.
Questions?Call (337) 446-4571
to find a Morris Bart office near you.