If you were hurt when a vehicle hit your motorcycle, a New Iberia motorcycle accident attorney from the Morris Bart law firm might be able to help you get the justice you deserve. We represent victims of motorcycle accidents and seek compensation on their behalf. As a result, you may be able to recover money for your medical bills, motorcycle replacement, lost wages, and more.
We provide complimentary legal consultations. A motorcycle accident lawyer is available to discuss your case with you and help you understand your options for pursuing compensation.
Pursuing Damages for Injured Motorcyclists After an Accident
There are two ways the motorcycle accident attorneys can recover money damages for our clients after a crash in Iberia Parish:
- An insurance claim based on the at-fault driver’s liability coverage
- A lawsuit in civil court
With the proper evidence and a strong argument for financial recovery, we may be able to secure a cash payout that includes:
Your Economic Expenses
- Medical bills, current, and future
- Motorcycle repair or replacement
- Miscellaneous expenses
Your Financial Losses
- Lost income and benefits from hours missed at work
- Diminished earning capacity if your injuries prevent your return to your previous work
Your Non-Economic Damages
- Pain and suffering damages and other intangible losses
Wrongful Death Damages
- Expenses and losses related to a loved one’s wrongful death, per La. Civ. Code Art. 2315.2
For a free legal consultation with a Motorcycle Accident lawyer serving New Iberia, call (337) 446-4571
How We Hold Negligent Parties Accountable in Motorcycle Accidents
The Morris Bart law firm helped more than 6,500 injury victims and their families win recoveries in 2019. We have a legal team ready to help you better understand your case and explain how we hold negligent parties responsible in accidents. We represent clients based on contingency fees, asking for no upfront payment.
When we pursue damages in a motorcycle accident case, we:
- Gather evidence to support the claim
- Investigate the cause of the collision
- Establish negligence and determine liability
- Value the case
- Demand a just payout
- Negotiate with the insurance company representing the at-fault party
Throughout every personal injury case, we protect our client’s rights and fight for their best interests. We will take the case to trial if we cannot settle the case with an appropriate agreement through negotiations with the insurer. Our attorneys prepare and file lawsuits in Iberia Parish and throughout Louisiana,
We have 15 locations in four states: Louisiana, Alabama, Arkansas, and Mississippi. Our Lafayette location serves New Iberia. This office is located at:
400 E Kaliste Saloom Rd., Suite 1300
Lafayette, LA 70508
Our case results show that we know how to develop a strong claim and recover cash payouts for our clients. Some recent results include:
- $852,845 for a Louisiana car accident victim
- $650,000 for a driver hurt in a crash caused by a drunk driver
- $640,000 court award in a workers’ compensation case
- $550,000 for a client injured in a hit and run collision
- $490,000 for the victim of a truck accident
- $430,000 settlement for a victim hurt in a bicycle accident
Building a Claim and Proving Your Motorcycle Accident Case
Louisiana traffic accident law is based on fault. We need to verify that the automobile driver caused your motorcycle crash to recover compensation for you. This requires us to show they acted carelessly or recklessly. The legal profession refers to this as “negligence.”
There are four elements to negligence:
- Breach of duty
To prove the other motorist’s negligence, we must define and prove each of these elements. Often, their duty was a traffic law they had an obligation to obey. The breach of duty occurred when they violated that law. This violation caused them to collide with your motorcycle, which led to your damages.
Our lawyers know the common causes of motorcycle accidents and how to prove negligence in each one. This includes:
- Changing lanes without looking
- Sudden stops
- Ignoring traffic signs or signals
- Failure to yield right of way
We are also aware of the role that drunk, distracted, and fatigued driving play in many crashes. Therefore, if it helps our client’s case, we can also gather and present evidence of these violations.
Motorcyclists often pay a higher physical price in a traffic accident than other victims. Severe injuries are common. We regularly handle cases that include spinal cord injuries (SCIs), traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), paralysis, back and neck injuries, burns and scarring, and other catastrophic injuries.
Click to contact our New Iberia Personal Injury Lawyers today
Deadline for Filing a Motorcycle Accident Lawsuit in Iberia Parish
While most traffic accident claims never go to trial, it is sometimes necessary to sue the at-fault driver. This may be necessary if their insurance company:
- Tries to blame the crash on you
- Disputes other facts of the case
- Does not take the value of your damages seriously
- Delays negotiations in hopes that you run out of time and the statute of limitations lapses
The deadline in most civil court cases in New Iberia include:
- One year for injuries under La. Civ. Code Art. 3492
- One year for wrongful death under La. Civ. Code Art. 2315.2
This deadline applies to filing the initial complaint in a civil case. Missing the deadline could mean the court barring you from taking any further legal action in the case, which would leave you with no options for recovering compensation.
In some instances, exceptions to the statute of limitations could alter the timeline. Therefore, your attorney needs to assess your case as soon as your injuries allow to ensure you have time to file your insurance claim.
Learn about Your Right to Compensation by Contacting a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Today
You can speak with a motorcycle accident lawyer from the Morris Bart law firm in Lafayette today for free. Our attorneys provide complimentary consultations where we assess your case, offer information about your legal options, answer questions, and explain our services. We are a contingency fee firm, so we will not charge you anything to get started.
Call (337) 446-4571 today to get started with your free case review.
Questions?Call (337) 446-4571
to find a Morris Bart office near you.