If your loved one was killed in an accident caused by another party’s negligence in D’Iberville, Mississippi, you might be able to bring a wrongful death claim against the liable party. While nothing can replace your lost family member or spouse, a wrongful death claim may help you get justice and recover financial compensation for your damages.
We are committed to providing high-quality legal guidance and representation for our clients. We can investigate the events surrounding your loved one’s death, calculate a fair settlement offer, and handle all communications with the liable parties, leaving you and your family the time you need to heal. Call the Morris Bart law firm at (800) 537-8185 for a free consultation with a member of our wrongful death team.
How a Wrongful Death Claim May Benefit You
Through a wrongful death claim, you may be able to recover compensation for the financial losses you suffered, as well as the non-monetary consequences of your loved one’s death. In general, the damages in a wrongful death case may include:
Medical and Funeral Expenses
You may be able to recover financial compensation for your loved one’s funeral and burial costs. You may also be entitled to compensation for the medical bills incurred between your loved one’s fatal injury and their death.
Loss of Financial Support
Losing a loved one not only results in grief and suffering—it can also leave a family without the financial support they had come to depend on. You might be entitled to compensation for the income your loved one would have earned if they had lived. You may also recover compensation for the value of lost employment benefits, such as pension and retirement benefits.
You may be entitled to compensation for your non-economic damages in a wrongful death claim as well, such as your loved one’s pain and suffering, and the loss of your loved one’s companionship.
A D’Iberville Wrongful Death Lawyer from Our Firm Can Help You
You do not have to face the wrongful death claim or lawsuit process alone. A D’Iberville wrongful death lawyer from the Morris Bart law firm can stand by your side and offer reliable legal guidance throughout your case. Our team of attorneys understands the complexities of Mississippi civil law and knows how to develop a strong wrongful death case.
The Morris Bart law firm will:
- Identify the party or parties that may be legally responsible for your loved one’s death
- Calculate the damages you sustained because of the death
- Gather evidence, including medical records, video footage, incident reports, and police reports
- Work with accident reconstruction experts, medical specialists, accountants, and other professionals
- Handle communications with the other parties involved in the case
- Explain any legal issues and advise you on your options
- Represent you during settlement negotiations
- Take your case to trial and represent you in court if an appropriate settlement is not reached
Mississippi Wrongful Death Laws
Per Mississippi Code §11-7-13, an individual has the right to bring a wrongful death claim when a person’s death is caused by:
- Another party’s “real, wrongful or negligent act or omission”
- Unsafe machinery or equipment
- Breach of warranty involving an item meant for human consumption
A wrongful death claim may be brought by:
- The personal representative of the decedent’s estate
- The decedent’s spouse
- The decedent’s child
- The decedent’s parent
- The decedent’s sibling
Situations that May Justify a Wrongful Death Lawsuit
To win your wrongful death claim and recover financial compensation for damages, you must show that the defendant’s actions caused your loved one’s death and that you suffered damages as a result. There are almost countless situations that could lead to a person’s wrongful death. Wrongful death claims often involve:
- Medical malpractice, including surgical errors, failure to diagnose, or medication errors
- Car accidents, including accidents caused by drunk drivers or distracted drivers
- Truck accidents, including fallen cargo accidents and fatigued truck driver accidents
- Defective or dangerous consumer products, such as defective medications
- Dangerous conditions on another party’s property, such as building code or fire code violations
- Workplace accidents, such as falls, being struck by large equipment, or electrocutions
- Intentionally harmful actions and physical violence
Bear in mind that a wrongful death claim is a civil claim that is separate from any criminal charges that the liable party may face. A successful wrongful death claim may be possible even if the liable party did not face criminal consequences or was acquitted of the criminal charges.
You Must File Your Claim Before the Deadlines Passes
There are deadlines, called the statutes of limitations, for legal actions in Mississippi. Per Mississippi Code §15-1-49, wrongful death lawsuits based on negligence are subject to a three-year statute of limitations.
Your case may be subject to other deadlines that could shorten or lengthen them. A representative of our firm can explain which deadlines pertain to your case during your initial consultation.
Call the Attorneys at Morris Bart, LTD for a Free Case Evaluation
If your loved one passed away because of another party’s negligent actions, you may be able to seek financial compensation through a wrongful death claim. A D’Iberville wrongful death lawyer from the Morris Bart law firm can gather evidence and build a strong case on your behalf. Call us today at (800) 537-8185 for a free case evaluation with a representative of our firm.
Questions?Call (800) 537-8185
to find a Morris Bart office near you.