Pedestrian accidents are increasing in Athens because some motorists drive carelessly and are never mindful of other road users. According to the latest report for 2021, 20,160 pedestrians died in traffic accidents. The number is much higher than what was recorded in 2019.
Unfortunately, a pedestrian accident can leave you with severe injuries and change your life forever. If you get involved in a pedestrian accident in Athens due to someone’s negligence, seek legal help from an Athens pedestrian accident attorney immediately to guide and advise you on the way forward.
You deserve to receive compensation for the injuries incurred in the accident, and this is why it is best to seek legal help immediately. Read on to learn more about pedestrian accidents.
What to Do After a Pedestrian Accident
When you get involved in a pedestrian accident, you might be in pain and confused at the same time. Some people become unconscious and cannot do anything at the time. If you’re conscious, it is best to try as much as possible to follow various measures that can protect your legal rights in the future.
Immediately after a pedestrian accident, you should:
- Seek medical help immediately whether you feel pain or not.
• Document all injuries sustained, torn garments, and bloodstains.
• Keep the medical records received from your doctor after your treatment.
• Ask for the name and contact number of the driver who caused the accident.
• Record the car, truck, or motorcycle registration number involved in the accident.
• Call the police and speak up if the police ask you how the accident happened.
• Avoid admitting fault or talking too much even if you feel you’re partially at fault.
• Contact your insurance company and inform them of the accident.
It is also worthwhile to speak to an experienced Athens pedestrian accident attorney such as Morris Bart because such cases can be challenging, frustrating, and complicated to handle.
Some insurance companies can compromise and pay you less than you deserve, not considering the damage you incurred from the accident. Speaking to a pedestrian accident attorney will protect your rights and help you get the compensation you deserve.
For a free legal consultation with a Pedestrian Accident lawyer serving Athens, call (800) 537-8185
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents happen when a motorcycle driver, bicycle, truck, or car hits a pedestrian. Many countless situations listed below can be the reason behind a pedestrian accident.
- Recklessness – Recklessness is among the common causes of pedestrian accidents. It could occur from the driver or the pedestrian.
- Distracted Driving – Some drivers talk on phones or send texts while driving. This is a risk because the driver may get easily distracted and hit a pedestrian. A pedestrian could also get hit if they focus on social media, calls, or even sending texts while on the road.
- Impaired Driving – A pedestrian accident could occur if a driver is drunk. If you get involved in an accident where a driver was drunk, call an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer such as Morris Bart immediately for legal advice and guidance.
- Bad Weather – A pedestrian can slip, fall, and get injured during the rainy season due to water on the ground. Also, rainwater can cause vehicles to skid on crosswalks and cause accidents. Vehicles also may fail to stop on time for the pedestrian due to the slippery surface.
There are several other causes of pedestrian accidents, and either the pedestrian or driver may be at fault. Speak to an Athens pedestrian accident attorney such as Morris Bart immediately, whether you’re at fault or not.
Athens Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Near Me (800) 537-8185
Filing a Pedestrian Accident Claim
Pedestrians in Athens hit by cars have a high chance of receiving compensation for the damage incurred. Whether the accident happened inside or outside a crosswalk, you may still be entitled to compensation.
It is best to speak to an experienced Athens pedestrian accident attorney like Morris Bart to guide and advise you about filing a pedestrian injury claim.
Damage You Could Recover From a Pedestrian Accident Claim
The expenses you incur in a pedestrian accident depend on the accident’s severity. To file a successful compensation case, you need to provide concrete evidence against the defendant. The evidence will show that the accident occurred due to negligence. Here are several elements to recover from the claim.
- Medical costs
• Lost wages and income
• Loss of employment
• Pain and suffering
• Loss of enjoyment of life
Before you file a claim, it is best to speak to an experienced Athens pedestrian accident attorney such as Morris Bart to analyze the complexity of your claim and advocate for your rights. We will do all it takes to help you recover your deserved compensation.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Why Call an Athens Pedestrian Accident Attorney?
We understand you may have concerns about hiring a lawyer, especially if you have never been involved in an accident before. Your attorney will help your case in several ways.
Get Legal Advice
Handling a pedestrian accident claim can be frustrating and draining if you lack legal expertise. Speaking to an experienced attorney such as Morris Bart can be an ideal way to understand how pedestrian accident claims work, thus, enabling you to make informed decisions.
Prove Fault in the Pedestrian Accident
You need to provide concrete evidence showing the negligence of the defendant. Without concrete evidence, it may not be possible to receive the compensation you deserve. An experienced pedestrian attorney will analyze your case and provide evidence to prove fault.
Negotiate With the Insurance
Some insurance companies can be challenging to deal with. They may want to compromise the case and pay you less than you deserve. Some would even decline your claim even when you feel you have the right to compensation. A pedestrian accident attorney will negotiate with the insurance and help you recover the damage.
File a Personal Injury Lawsuit
If there is no favorable agreement between the insurance company and your lawyer, you may need to file a lawsuit in court to further the case. This can be the most challenging process if you lack legal advice. An experienced Athens pedestrian accident attorney like Morris Bart has all it takes to help you file a successful lawsuit in court.
Contact an Athens Pedestrian Injury Attorney Today
If you get involved in a pedestrian accident in Athens, you should seek legal help immediately. Speaking to a lawyer will help you know what to do and expect. Have you or your loved one recently been involved in a pedestrian accident? Contact Morris Bart today for more information about your pedestrian accident injury claim and processes.
Questions?Call (800) 537-8185
to find a Morris Bart office near you.