As a victim of a DUI accident, you have to protect your legal rights and take steps that will ensure that you recover damages for your losses. To prevent minor mistakes from jeopardizing your case, we recommend the help of a Shreveport DUI accident lawyer. Call the Morris Bart law firm at (318) 553-5470 for a free case evaluation.
What to Do After Being Hit by a Drunk Driver
According to data by the Centers for Disease and Prevention (CDC), one person dies every hour in a motor vehicle accident involving an alcohol-impaired driver. Despite the severity of this issue, drunk drivers continue to get behind the wheel. If you find yourself in a DUI accident, here are a few things you can do.
- Seek medical care. If you are gravely injured, do not move. Ask someone to call 911 and wait to receive medical assistance. For minor injuries, visit your healthcare provider as soon as possible for treatment and further examination. When you decide to take legal action against the liable party, your medical records can be a valuable resource.
- Call the police. While it may be tempting to call your lawyer first, we advise that you contact the police. By doing so, you are protecting your legal rights and establishing undeniable evidence of the accident. In the long run, your lawyer will need the police report and other relevant documents to make a claim against the insurance company.
- Exchange information. If you were driving and had passengers in the car, ensure everyone is OK before exchanging information with the driver. You must ask for their full name—see their ID for proof, contact number, driver’s license, license plate number, insurance company, and policy number. Additionally, note the location of the accident and the type and model of the vehicle.
- Take pictures. If you do not have a phone, ask someone to take pictures of your vehicle, other vehicles involved in the accident, and the scene of the accident and relevant areas. Also, make sure to speak to witnesses and collect their contact information. They can be helpful during the discovery process since your lawyer can interview them when building the case.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer. Call the Morris Bart law firm at (318) 553-5470 to discuss your case with a member of our team. Our Shreveport DUI accident lawyer may be able to help you receive compensation for your injuries and recover damages for your losses.
Types of Injuries Sustained in a Motor Vehicle Accident
Although you survived a DUI accident, chances are that you did not walk away unscathed. Generally speaking, most victims of DUI accidents end up with injuries and in some cases, disabilities. Here are a few common ones:
- Head injuries. When left untreated, you may suffer intense headaches, sleep deprivation, and problems with your brain functionality.
- Fractured bones. It is very common to see DUI accident victims with broken arms, legs, ribs, and hips.
- Cuts and lacerations. Loose projectiles from the impact of the accident can scrape your skin and cause intense pain.
- Internal bleeding. Even without visible injuries, it is important to seek medical care following a DUI accident. Internal bleeding can be dangerous when left unchecked.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Outside of physical injuries, it is possible to sustain emotional and psychological trauma from the accident. After the accident, some victims may struggle to leave the house or even get behind the wheel.
For a free legal consultation with a DUI Accident lawyer serving Shreveport, call 800-537-8185
What a Shreveport DUI Accident Lawyer Can Do for You
While you may be tempted to deal with the liable party’s insurance company directly, enlisting the help of a lawyer can help you to focus on healing. When we come onto the case, we will:
- Explain your rights and provide legal advice since we want you to have an in-depth understanding of the situation and help you to weigh your options as you pursue the litigation. Additionally, we will prepare you for deposition or trial if it becomes necessary.
- Investigate the accident and collect all the necessary evidence needed to win. This includes checking if the blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of the driver was above the legal limit, interviewing witnesses, and assessing your medical records. If the defendant’s attorney or insurance company moves to dispute the cause of the accident, we are ready to bring in experts like accident reconstruction professionals to prove our theories.
- Assess your damages to arrive at an accurate estimate for your compensation. The amount can reflect your lost wages, property damage, psychological distress, medical expenses, and more. Where present, we will consider the long-term effects of your injuries such as rehabilitative care, medication, and diminished earning capacity if you were left with a disability.
- Represent you during settlement and ensure that the insurance company pays what is owed to you. While our goal is to get you the compensation to which you may be entitled during a settlement, we will not hesitate to go to trial if the insurance company fails to agree on an equitable amount.
Shreveport DUI Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-537-8185
Let the Morris Bart Law Firm Work for You
A DUI accident can wreak havoc on your life and future endeavors. Let the team at the Morris Bart law firm protect your rights and help recover the compensation to which you may be entitled. Call us now at (318) 553-5470 for a free case evaluation.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.