Ridesharing services like Uber and Lyft are great options to get safely from one location to another, especially if you have had anything to drink. However, ridesharing drivers are human and can make mistakes or behave negligently when driving passengers. If you or someone you love is hurt and in pain because of injuries sustained in an Uber or Lyft accident in New Orleans, New Orleans East, or the Orleans Parish, you have the right to pursue compensation for your losses. However, you may be feeling overwhelmed at the idea, unsure of who is responsible for the accident. The team at Morris Bart, LLC is here to help. We can explain to you the recent legislation governing ridesharing services and examine how it impacts your case. We can also determine the best course of action for pursuing compensation after your accident. For a free review of your case, contact our New Orleans Uber and Lyft rideshare accident lawyers today at (504) 613-4771.
Understanding Insurance Law for Ridesharing Services
In 2015, Louisiana passed the Transportation Network Company Motor Vehicle Responsibility Law related specifically to ridesharing services like Lyft and Uber. The bill fills the gaps in insurance coverage to better protect both drivers and passengers. According to the law, during the pre-trip acceptance period—when the driver has agreed to transport a passenger but has not yet picked them up—the rideshare company must provide $25,000 in bodily injury or death coverage for one person or $50,000 for all parties, as well as $25,000 in property damage. Once the driver picks up the passenger and until that ride is over, Lyft and Uber must provide $1,000,000 in coverage for bodily injury, death, or property damage. In addition, the company must also provide $1,000,000 in uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage.
For a free legal consultation with a Uber and Lyft Rideshare Accident lawyer serving New Orleans, call 800-537-8185
Types of Injuries That Can Occur in a Ridesharing Accident
There are a variety of injuries that passengers can experience as a result of a ridesharing accident in an Uber or Lyft. Some common types include:
- Broken bones: These injuries are common and can lead to other complications, such as infection if the bone pierces the skin.
- Internal bleeding: This type of injury is not always immediately apparent, and victims may not realize they are bleeding internally until their injury becomes life-threatening.
- Whiplash: This injury occurs when the head moves rapidly back and forth, and, while it usually heals within a few weeks with treatment, it can cause long-term pain.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs): Car accidents are the second leading cause of TBIs, an injury commonly associated with death or disability in the U.S.
- Spinal cord injuries and other injuries to the back: While many victims live long, full lives with spinal cord injuries, the majority require assistive devices and experience a loss of feeling or mobility.
If you or a loved one has been hurt or killed in an Uber, Lyft, or any rideshare accident, you are not alone. The team of New Orleans Uber and Lyft rideshare accident lawyers at Morris Bart, LLC is here to help. For a free consultation, call today at (504) 613-4771.
New Orleans Uber and Lyft Rideshare Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-537-8185
How Louisiana’s Statute of Limitations May Impact Your Claim
Louisiana Civil Code 3492 has a statute of limitations of only one year. That means you have one year from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit to recover any compensation related to your injuries or property damage. You would file this lawsuit if you and the insurance company cannot reach a settlement on your claim before the deadline passed. If you miss this deadline, the courts could bar you from recovering compensation.
Recoverable Damages After a New Orleans Uber and Lyft Rideshare Accident
Every case is different, so there is no way we can estimate the exact damages you may be entitled to receive without first evaluating the details related to your case. That said, we have worked on many cases like these, and some common types of damages include:
- Medical expenses, including ambulance rides, doctor’s examinations, surgical procedures, medication, treatments, and assistive devices.
- Lost wages.
- Future wages if you are unable to return to work.
- Pain and suffering.
- Property damage.
- Out-of-pocket costs.
- And possibly more.
If your family member suffered severe injuries and did not survive, your family may be able to recover compensation in a wrongful death claim. Some common types of recoverable damages, in this case, are:
- Funeral and burial expenses.
- Pain and suffering.
- Medical expenses left to the family to recover.
- Loss of consortium.
- Loss of support and protection.
- Benefits and wages previously provided by the deceased.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How a New Orleans Uber and Lyft Rideshare Accident Lawyer Can Help
While you may be feeling relieved knowing that Uber and Lyft are required to carry $1,000,000 in coverage for bodily injury and death, collecting under the policy can be challenging. Those companies are actually technology companies that only connect drivers and passengers. The drivers are not actually employees of the companies themselves. That means that Lyft and Uber may claim that they are not responsible for the driver’s behavior if they were behaving negligently. For example, if the police found that the driver was under the influence of alcohol or driving recklessly, the company may deny liability for his or her behavior. A dedicated Uber and Lyft rideshare accident lawyer serving New Orleans can evaluate the details of your case and explore your best option for recovering your losses. At Morris Bart, LLC, we are here to protect your rights. Some specific ways we can help are:
- Gathering evidence related to the accident, including police reports, medical records, and eyewitness statements.
- Work with experts to determine exactly what happened in the moments leading up to the accident.
- Establish liability.
- Build a strong case to pursue compensation to the fullest extent of your injuries.
- Negotiate with the legal team representing Lyft, Uber, or the rideshare service to reach a fair settlement in your case.
If you have been in an accident while using an Uber or Lyft and are in pain and suffering as a result of your injuries, call us today. We have worked on many cases like these and can help guide you through the process. Call Morris Bart, LLC today at (504) 613-4771.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.