The past year has been an uncertain and challenging year for many Americans, none more so than the residents of Southwest Louisiana. Hurricane Laura made landfall near the Louisiana and Texas border as a full Category 4 hurricane with sustained wind speeds over 130 miles per hour. Thousands of homes and businesses have been damaged and destroyed by the severe winds and flooding, leaving our communities to deal with the impact.
If your home or business has been damaged as a result of Hurricane Laura, it’s more important now than ever to fully understand your legal rights. We understand the challenges and difficulties you may face in the aftermath of a hurricane. Call us today for a free consultation with an attorney. We can discuss your case and help you understand what legal options are available to you.
I have been affected by Laura. What should I do?
If you have been negatively impacted by Hurricane Laura, you may be unsure of what to do. While you may feel overwhelmed, you do not have to go through this alone. However, it is important to take action to protect your property and legal rights.
Mitigate the damage: Your first step should be to take precautionary measures to mitigate the damage to your property if possible. If you can do so safely, board up broken windows and apply a tarp where necessary. This can help prevent insurance companies from denying claims, citing additional damage after the fact.
Document the damage: Your next step should be to take photos and videos of the affected areas, including any personal items or property. Creating a list of the damages can also help to document your full losses. These photos, videos, and documentation will help serve as evidence and explain the extent of the damages.
Review your policy with your lawyer: By assessing your damages with your lawyer, he or she can evaluate your claim and help you understand your legal options. This can help put you at ease that an experienced team is behind you, helping fight for your right to maximum compensation.
For a free legal consultation with a Hurricane Laura Claims lawyer serving Lake Charles, call 800-537-8185
What if my business was damaged by Hurricane Laura?
The Morris Bart law firm has experienced Commercial Hurricane Claims Lawyers on staff and ready to help you with your business insurance claims. Depending on your coverage, you may also be eligible for business interruption compensation. Call us today for a free business insurance policy review and consultation to fully understand what legal options you have.
Lake Charles Hurricane Laura Claims Lawyer Near Me 800-537-8185
What common damages might be covered?
Hurricanes are mostly characterized by high winds, flying debris, and flooding from the storm surge. Below are the most common types of damages that may be covered by your policy.
- Flooding: Storm surges, low elevation, or poor drainage can lead to flooding. Once the water clears, water damage, mold, and mildew may remain.
- Roof Damage: High winds can put a lot of strain on a roof and create a lift pressure effect. This can result in tiles being torn off or portions of roofing coming away from the structure.
- Broken Windows: Even shuttered or boarded windows can be damaged by strong enough wind or flying debris.
- Damaged Doors: High winds can create a pull on the doors on your home. Garage doors can be particularly vulnerable, due to their large surface area and unique function. Glass sliding doors can also be susceptible to damage from wind or flying debris.
- Contents Damage: If damage occurred to your roof, windows, or doors, whether from flooding or wind, the contents of your home may also have taken on damage that may be covered under your policy
- Structural Damage: In worst cases, the structure of your home or business may become compromised by the high wind speeds and flying debris.
If you have experienced any of the above damage due to Hurricane Laura, or other damage not listed, call us today for a free consultation to discuss your legal options.
What if my Hurricane Laura claim has been denied?
If you have submitted a claim for your Hurricane Laura damages and your insurance company has denied it or is not offering you fair compensation for your damages, you may still have options. The experienced Hurricane Claim attorneys at the Morris Bart law firm can help you review your policy and understand your legal options with a free case consultation. Call us now to get started.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Filing a claim for Hurricane Laura damages.
If you have experienced damage or loss as a result of Hurricane Laura, call the Morris Bart law office today at (337) 377-0514. Our experienced residential and commercial hurricane claims attorneys can help you navigate your policy and negotiations with your insurance company. We can handle your claim and ensure you receive maximum compensation for your damages. To learn more about what legal options you might have or to get started, call the Morris Bart law office now.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.