Reckless driving puts other motorists sharing the roads at an increased risk for injury. If a reckless or aggressive driver caused your Birmingham, Alabama, car accident, you may be able to file an insurance claim or take other action to hold them liable for your related expenses and losses. Let a member of the Morris Bart law firm car accident team review your case for free today.
Call the Morris Bart law firm today at (205) 380-4158. Our initial consultations are free, and you will pay no attorney’s fees unless we recover a payout on your behalf, either through settlement negotiations or in court.
Reckless Driving and Alabama Car Accident Liability
Reckless driving is a serious criminal traffic offense in Alabama. Under Alabama Code § 32-5A-190, reckless driving is defined as anyone who drives:
- “… Carelessly and needlessly in willful or wanton disregard for the rights or safety of persons or property,” or
- “… Without due caution and circumspection and at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger or be likely to endanger any person or property.”
Under this definition, many types of careless and negligent actions behind the wheel could fall under “reckless driving.” This could include:
- Excessive speed in violation of the speed limit.
- Driving too fast for the weather conditions, the characteristics of the road, or the current traffic.
- Following too closely.
- Drunk driving or driving in an otherwise impaired manner.
- Intentionally running red lights or stop signs.
- Not using turn signals, not using headlights, flashing headlights unnecessarily, or other related violations.
- Excessive weaving, lane splitting, or other lane-change violations.
- Passing in a no-passing zone.
- Passing on the shoulder or median.
- Racing and other similar violations.
If you believe any of these actions caused your Birmingham car accident, or if the other driver received a citation for reckless driving, you may have a compelling case for seeking a payout. Call (205) 380-4158 today to discuss the facts of your case with a member of the Morris Bart & Associates, LLC car accident team for free.
For a free legal consultation with a Reckless Driving Accident lawyer serving Birmingham, call 800-537-8185
Morris Bart & Associates, LLC Knows How to Navigate the Car Accident Claims Process After a Reckless Driving Accident
At the Morris Bart law firm, our Birmingham reckless driving lawyers understand how Alabama car accident law works and may be able to build a case to prove negligence and liability. If we can identify evidence to support your case, we may be able to file an insurance claim and negotiate a settlement or take your case to trial and secure a court award on your behalf.
Our team will take steps to prove negligence, liability, and the value of your damages. This may include:
- Obtaining an accident report from the police.
- Identifying and re-interviewing all eyewitnesses.
- Recovering and analyzing other evidence.
- Calling in accident reconstruction experts.
- Working with additional experts as necessary.
- Analyzing your relevant medical records.
- Documenting the expenses and losses you incurred as a result of the accident.
It is important to note that we do not have to prove the at-fault driver was guilty of reckless driving to recover a payout in your case. Instead, we only need to show:
- They had a duty to follow traffic laws and other rules to keep others safe.
- They failed to uphold this duty, breaking a traffic law or otherwise creating a hazardous situation for others.
- Their behavior caused your accident and injuries.
- You sustained economic and noneconomic losses as a result of the accident.
Once we build a case, we will go to work seeking a payout through out-of-court settlement negotiations or filing a personal injury lawsuit. You can count on our team to represent you to the insurance company throughout this process—and in court, if that becomes necessary.
Call the Morris Bart law firm now at (205) 380-4158 to see how a Birmingham reckless driving lawyer can help your case.
Birmingham Reckless Driving Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-537-8185
Pursuing Damages in a Birmingham Reckless Driving Accident Case
When our team pursues compensation for a client who sustained injuries and other losses following a reckless driving accident, we first calculate a fair settlement value based on their documented economic expenses and losses and their estimated noneconomic losses. The value of these cases can vary widely. Recoverable damages may include:
- Current and future medical treatment costs.
- Any additional accident-related care costs.
- Current and future missed wages.
- Diminished earning capacity if an impairment prevents returning to work.
- Repairs to the vehicle involved or replacement of a totaled vehicle.
- Additional property damages.
- Pain and suffering.
- Other noneconomic damages.
- Wrongful death damages for families who lost a loved one in a reckless driving accident.
Alabama Law Sets a Time Limit on Filing a Lawsuit
Alabama Code § 6-2-38 establishes a two-year time limit for filing a lawsuit in most car accident cases. There may be additional rules that apply in your case, so you should reach out to the Morris Bart law firm as soon as possible following your accident.
You do not want to run out of time in this type of case. It could prevent you from securing compensation, even if you have a strong case against the reckless driver who caused your accident.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Discuss Your Case with a Member of Our Birmingham Reckless Driving Team Today
If you suffered injuries in a Birmingham, Alabama, traffic accident caused by another driver’s reckless actions, you may be eligible to recover compensation. The Morris Bart law firm can review your case for free and may be able to seek a payout on your behalf. One of our Birmingham reckless driving lawyers may be able to file an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit to help you secure a financial recovery.
We have more than 15 offices in Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi. Reach out to our team if you were the victim of a car accident anywhere in the Gulf South.
In Birmingham, you can reach the Morris Bart law firm by calling (205) 380-4158 today. Our initial case consultations are always free for car accident victims.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.