car-accident-lawyer-shreveport-2In a matter of seconds, a car accident can change a person’s life forever. In addition to the immediate shock of the wreck, victims may need to cope with injuries that require rehabilitation and expensive health care.

If you are in a car accident that a negligent driver caused, you may be able to recover compensation to pay for costs related to the incident. Each state has specific laws that govern civil lawsuit procedures, and if you are in a Louisiana crash, it is important to consult an attorney who has handled cases that are similar to yours.

One of the laws central to your lawsuit pertains to limits on the amount you may recover from the negligent individual. Most states allow victims of negligence to pursue damages from the at-fault party, but there may be caps to the amount that plaintiffs can recover.

If you are in a serious crash and you want to file a civil lawsuit for damages, call Morris Bart, LLC. An experienced personal-injury attorney from our firm can investigate the circumstances surrounding your collision and answer any questions you may have.

If you have a valid claim, a Baton Rouge personal-injury lawyer from our practice may be able to recover damages on your behalf. These could pay for your medical expenses and lost income, as well as other costs related to the accident. Call us today at 1-800-537-8185 to schedule an appointment and discuss your potential case.

Louisiana Damages Caps

According to Title 13 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes, an injured person can seek damages from a negligent individual, and this is usually in the form of monetary compensation. The purpose of this payment is to help the injured person deal with medical expenses, pain, suffering and lost wages

Some states place a cap on the amount that you can claim as an innocent victim. In Louisiana, this maximum varies according to the specific circumstances surrounding the incident

Of particular importance is the type of claim. For example, lawsuits stemming from medical malpractice have a damages cap of $500,000, but this does not include future health-care expenses. Guilty parties only have to pay $100,000 of this if they have coverage from the Patient Compensation Fund. This specific cap does not apply to injury cases that do not relate to malpractice.

Small Claims

If you did not sustain serious injuries or property damage, you can file a personal-injury claim at a small claims court. The amount that you claim must be less than $3,000. It is important to remember that once the small claims court finalizes this claim, you may not be able to seek further damages from the negligent driver.

At Morris Bart, LLC, we can help you navigate the legal complexities involved in civil lawsuits. A Baton Rouge personal injury attorney from our firm can evaluate your case and address your questions and concerns. Call us today at 1-800-537-8185 to schedule an appointment.

June 10, 2015 | Categories: Legal Tips, Personal Injury |