With summer coming up, and the cost of airline tickets (and baggage fees) rising to the occasion, many Americans will take to the roads to travel to their vacation destinations.  More cars on the roads means more car accident injuries, and many of those car accidents will occur in another state than the driver’s resident state.  So, what happens when you have an auto accident in another state?

Minimum auto liability insurance requirements vary from state to state.  For example, Florida has the lowest minimum requirements for auto liability insurance of all 50 states, which is 10/20/10.  That insurance lingo translates to this:  If you are at fault in a car accident that injures someone, that person may recover up to $10,000 for his or her personal injury.  The total liability coverage (no matter how many people are injured) is $20,000 and the property damage limit is $10,000.  Alaska and Wyoming have the highest minimum automobile liability insurance requirements at 50/100/55.   You can see how you might have a problem if you’re properly insured in Florida, but have an auto accident in Wyoming.

How do states resolve differences in auto minimum liability insurance coverage?

State insurance departments, however, have agreed on policy language that cures this problem.  Generally, all automobile liability insurance policies provide that, if you are insured to the minimum liability requirements in your home state and you have a car accident in another state, your liability limits will automatically match whatever the minimum requirements are for the state in which you are travelling.

This principle also applies to other state-required coverage options.  Many states also require drivers to have Personal Injury Protection (PIP) also known as “med pay.”  PIP provides an amount that can be used by a driver or passenger for medical expenses without regard to fault. If you are travelling in a state that requires PIP, your policy was provide that coverage while you are in that state.

How much auto liability insurance should I have on my car?

Most experts suggest that you carry a minimum of 100/300/50 in automobile liability insurance, no matter what your minimum state requirements for liability coverage.  That is certainly the best policy.

Rest easy, though, while you travel across the United States!  As long as you have insurance that meets the minimum auto liability insurance requirements in your home state, you’ll be covered to the minimum limits of the state in which you are travelling.

Happy trails to you!

Contact Morris Bart About Your Car Accident Injuries

If you have been involved in a car accident injury in another state, please contact the personal injury attorneys at Morris Bart, LLC today.  We offer a free case evaluation with our personal injury attorneys, who will review the details of your case and advise you on the best approach to getting the compensation you deserve for your car accident injury.

June 28, 2013 | Categories: Auto Accidents, Legal Tips |