Elder abuse is a widespread problem that affects hundreds of thousands of nursing home residents every year. In fact, 1 in 10 seniors at nursing homes experience abuse, neglect, or financial exploitation. As the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention explains, this is likely an underestimation because some victims are too afraid or unable to report the mistreatment.

Step by step

If you or your loved one suffered abuse, it is critical that you report it immediately. Taking action not only will make the mistreatment stop, but it will also save other nursing home residents from the same abuse in the future.

In addition to reporting the abuse, you should contact an injury lawyer to find out if you may be entitled to compensation. You may have grounds for a claim against the facility or staff member who abused you.

A New Orleans injury attorney from Morris Bart, LLC can guide you through the claims process. We will gather evidence, structure your claim, and help you fight for the maximum settlement.

Call 800-537-8185 to schedule a free initial consultation. Until then, read on to learn the answers to three nursing home abuse FAQs:

  1. How do I report nursing home abuse?

If you, your loved one, or another nursing home resident is in immediate danger, call the local police or 911 and request emergency assistance. Do not wait until the situation worsens.

Even if the danger is not immediate, you should still report the problem. You can find the numbers to hotlines, helplines, and referral sources in Louisiana by visiting the National Center on Elder Abuse website. The NCEA also provides links to laws and regulations related to elder abuse, and to the websites of the:

  • Louisiana Governor’s Office of Elderly Affairs
  • Louisiana Elderly Protective Services
  • Louisiana Office of Attorney General
  • Louisiana Long Term Care Ombudsman
  1. What information will I have to provide?

When you report the confirmed or suspected abuse, you will need to provide extensive details to help the NCEA conduct a possible investigation. You will have to disclose the name, address, and contact information of the victim.

A representative will ask you several questions to learn more about the situation. These may include:

  1. Does the victim suffer from any known cognitive problems such as memory loss or confusion?
  2. Have you heard or seen any incidents of hitting, yelling, or other abuse?
  3. What family and social support does the victim have?
  1. What will happen after the phone call?

Adult Protection Services will evaluate the seriousness of your report. If APS believes the situation violates state laws, it will appoint a caseworker to investigate the matter. APS can also initiate crisis intervention services if the victim is in immediate danger.

The elderly person has the right to refuse services offered by Adult Protective Services. APS can only intervene if the victim agrees, or if a court has declared him or her incapacitated and appointed a guardian.

If you or a member of your family suffered nursing home neglect, contact a Louisiana nursing home abuse attorney from Morris Bart, LLC. Call 800-537-8185 to schedule a free consultation and discuss your legal options.

June 30, 2016 | Categories: Legal Tips, Personal Injury |