Accident report

If you were in an accident in Mobile or Birmingham that left you with serious injuries, then you already know how traumatic – and expensive – a crash can be. According to the Alabama Civil Code, you may be able to recover some of these costs in a civil lawsuit.

Call 1-800-537-8185 to speak with an Alabama attorney now.

Direct damages, such as medical expenses and lost wages, may be easy to calculate, but there are certain costs, such as pain and suffering damages, which are more subjective. Pain and suffering damages are often difficult to quantify. There is no fixed way to approach this calculation, but many lawyers use the “multiplier method.”

If you were in an accident that a negligent driver caused, then Morris Bart can help. We will evaluate your case to determine which damages you should pursue. We can help you calculate pain and suffering damages, and aggressively fight for the maximum compensation. To schedule a consultation, call our office today at 1-800-537-8185.

In the meantime, read on to learn more about using a multiplier to calculate pain and suffering damages:

Understanding the Multiplier Approach

According to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, the legal definition of “pain and suffering” is somewhat vague. One way to quantify pain and suffering damages is to use a multiplier approach.

In order to estimate your losses due to pain and suffering, your attorney may multiply the quantifiable expenses, such as medical bills and lost wages, by an arbitrary figure. The figure is typically between 1.5 and 4, depending on the specifics of your accident and injuries.

Lawyers may recommend this approach in a case where there are no permanent or serious injuries, and there is unlikely to be ongoing pain and suffering. It is also common in cases in which one driver was clearly at fault.

Choosing the Multiplier Figure

There are several factors that your personal-injury lawyer will consider when determining the multiplier. If you sustained serious injuries or those that required an extended period of recovery, then your attorney will likely use a higher multiplier. Furthermore, if the driver of the other vehicle was under the influence of alcohol or drugs, then you may be able to claim more. You may also use a higher multiplier if you are facing permanent disabilities.

Most pain and suffering calculations require a combination of common sense and a thorough understanding of Alabama personal-injury laws. This is one reason why consulting an attorney can be so beneficial. Your lawyer may increase the amount of damages that you claim in your lawsuit, and he or she can fight for the maximum compensation during settlement negotiations and potential litigation.

At Morris Bart, LLC, we can help you navigate the legal system and protect your interests. A Mobile personal-injury lawyer from our firm can evaluate your case to determine if you have a legitimate claim. Call us today at 1-800-537-8185. to schedule an appointment.

August 24, 2015 | Categories: Auto Accidents, Legal Tips |