It’s every driver’s worst nightmare: a serious crash with an uninsured or underinsured motorist. In addition to the initial shock and pain, you might have to pay the medical bills and lost income out of your own pocket. But don’t panic just yet; there are several possible ways to recover compensation after an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver. A smart first step is to request a case evaluation from a personal-injury lawyer.

If the accident happened in Louisiana, contact Morris Bart, LLC. An injury attorney in Monroe will help you recover the maximum compensation for lost income, medical bills, property damage and other losses. Call 800-537-8185 today to schedule a free initial consultation.

Recovering Compensation after an Accident with an Uninsured or Underinsured Driver in Louisiana

All drivers in Louisiana are required to purchase liability insurance to cover medical bills and other damages they cause to others. Unfortunately, a deplorable number of motorists in Louisiana choose to ignore this law and drive without insurance. According to the Insurance Information Institute, 13.9 percent of motorists in Louisiana were uninsured in 2012 – and most drivers who have insurance only carry the minimum coverage.

Often, the minimum coverage is not enough to pay for surgeries, medications, property damage and other expenses after a car accident. In these cases, victims may be able to recover compensation from their own uninsured motorist (UM) coverage.

Louisiana law requires auto insurance companies to offer UM coverage with liability policies; however, policyholders are not required to purchase UM insurance. Buying UM coverage is a smart investment that could save you from financial ruin after a crash with an uninsured or underinsured driver.

You can make a claim against your UM coverage if:

  • The driver who caused your injuries does not have insurance;
  • Your damages exceed the coverage limits of the at-fault driver; or
  • You were injured in a hit-and-run accident.

You also may be able to recover compensation from your personal injury protection (PIP) or medical payments (med pay) coverage if you purchased these optional policies. These policies cover the driver and passengers in the vehicle.

Sometimes it is possible to recover compensation from a family member’s insurance policy. This is often the case when the driver and vehicle owner have separate insurance policies.

Unfortunately, profit-minded insurance companies are notorious for denying and undervaluing claims. If your insurance provider refuses to step up to the plate, contact Morris Bart, LLC.

A personal-injury lawyer in Monroe will evaluate your insurance policies, investigate your crash and compassionately represent your interests. Our legal team will help you avoid mistakes such as overlooking certain damages, accepting a low settlement, making recorded statements to the insurance adjuster, unknowingly admitting fault or signing a general release.

Don’t let your insurance company take advantage of you; schedule a free consultation with an injury attorney by calling 800-537-8185.

November 8, 2016 | Categories: Auto Accidents, Legal Tips |